Thursday, October 2, 2008

All this took place in about two minutes........

It being Devin's day off we all walked in the door at the same time today, chaos pursued. Ethan and Owen stitting to the table complaining about homework, whining , begging to play video games instead. Sassy crying in her highchair. Devin and Jack unloading the groceries. Finally Devin took Owen and Sassy into the other room so Ethan and I could concentrate on his math homework and he could help Owen with his spelling homework. Then it dawns on me, I noticed it was strangely quiet. hmmm where's Jack? I walked back into the boys room expecting to see him playing with quietly with Ethan's toys, if I can redirect him Ethan will never know and we can avoid a fight... not there. Look on all the beds, not there. Is he in my room?...NO. "Devin where is Jack" "I don't know" The doors are all shut and locked. Did I lock him out somehow?Open front door, JACK! JACK! My heart is now pounding. JACK! JACK! throwing open shower curtains, running from room to room. JACK! JACK! Devin asks "Did I leave him in the car?" Run to the driveway, Ethan and Owen are crying. "Stay in the house and stay together!" I yell No, not in car. "JACK! JACK! running up and down street screaming, asking strangers, "Have you seen a little boy, MY little boy?" What is he wearing? My mind is blank. Was he just in pull ups? What did I dress him in today? Where is my baby? Mind spinning, tears running down my face. Who has my baby? Neighbors are following, watching the panic unfold. I've got to call the police, shut down the city, Where is my baby??? I run in to the kitchen , where is the damn phone? "Ethan, Owen sit on the couch and don't move!" Sassy safely in Devin's arms. Devin runs up to Whitney's house. Running to bedroom to find the phone, can't feel anything, but terror, JACK! JACK! and then, on the floor by my bed, I almost tripped on him.

Instant, unbelievable relief. I collapse on him and cry, he stirs in his sleep and I hold him while I sob. I cannot explain the pure terror of not being able to find your child. It is by far the worst feeling in the world. Who cares about homework or putting the groceries away, I have all my babies and they are all safe. I feel like the luckiest person on earth.

1 comment:

The Casida Family- Todd, Jen, Nathan, Trevor and Madison said...

My heart sunk and I got chills reading this. You poor thing! It really makes you sit back and realize how blessed and thankful you are for your blessings when something like this happens. Suddenly the world and its many pressures and influences and materialistic must-haves fade away,you become more focused, and you realize you have all you need right there at home with you>